Neuschwanstein Castle Day Trip from Munich942 Reviews
Explore the fairytale Neuschwanstein Castle and the enchanting old-world town of Füssen, framed by one of the most breathtaking natural settings in the world. Take a 2-hour train/coach ride through majestic Bavarian landscapes.
- Explore the fairytale Neuschwanstein Castle
- Tour the scenic vantage points of the castle’s surroundings
- Enjoy a 2-hour train or coach ride through the Bavarian countryside
- Skip the long lines to get fast-track entry to the castle
- Discover the extravagant world of King Ludwig II
DescriptionLocated 2 hours from Munich, the enchanting old-world town of Füssen lies in the foot hills of the Alps, framed by one of the most breathtaking natural settings in the world. Towering far above the village, seemingly sculpted out of the very mountains that rise magnificently to the heavens, is a sight made from the stuff of dreams: the fabulous and ethereal Neuschwanstein Castle. This glorious folly was built in the 19th-Century by the famed 'mad' King Ludwig II, a man intoxicated by mythology and who himself became a legend. The shimmering white towers of the castle among the clouds are instantly recognizable to many who haven’t ever heard the name Neuschwanstein. It is the inspiration for Disney's Sleeping Beauty Castle and is famous the world over as the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang castle. To visit it is to step inside a fairy tale. On this full-day tour from Munich, your guide will take you by train or coach and accompany you uphill to the castle’s lofty perch, where it sits gleaming above a spectacular panorama of mountains, lakes and valleys. It’s not just about the castle – it’s also about its wonderful location. You will go to the best vantage points and explore the lake. If time and weather permits, you can even enjoy a swim. Get postcard-perfect views of the equally beautiful Hohenschwangau Castle, the waterfall gorge and the stunning Marienbrücke Bridge, suspended high above it all. While you are marveling at the beauty, your guide will tell you the engaging story of King Ludwig’s renowned and tragic reign, of his turbulent times and of the obsession that drove him to build his fantasy castle in the mountains and ultimately destroyed him. Skip the long lines for the separate internal tour of the king’s private chambers by a specialist castle guide. The tour is the most practical way to enter this amazing fantasy-world.
IncludesTransport on the 2-hour train/coach journey from Munich to Füssen and back Fully-guided tour accompanied by an English and Spanish-speaking guide Hotel pick-up Lunch Optional €15 castle entry fee, for tour of castle interior, for people over the age of 18, payable directly to the vendor on the morning of the tour
- Please note: This tour involves an uphill walk of approximately 20 minutes. At points, the gradient can be relatively steep. The tour is not recommended it for anyone with serious walking difficulties. If you prefer not to walk uphill, an optional horse-drawn carriage will take you most (but not all) of the way to the top. There is also an option of taking a bus uphill.
- Don’t forget to bring appropriate footwear
- Please note that sometimes the transport will be conducted by private coach instead of the train
- Tour is not wheelchair accessible
- The 9:30 AM departure tour returns back to Munich by approximately 6:30 PM
- The 10:30 AM departure tour returns back to Munich by approximately 7:30 PM
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability